Friday, October 17, 2008

The funeral

This has been a rough few days. The funeral was last night. It was beautiful, but heart-breaking. My friend was sobbing like I've never heard anyone cry before- the deepest sadness I've seen anyone experience. There was a slide show of pictures of his short life at the reception. He was so precious.
The burial was this morning. Once again, it was very difficult to see this tiny coffin and know that the sweet little boy who was always so joyful and full of life is gone. At the end of the graveside service, a butterfly briefly landed on the coffin. It was as though God was reminding everyone that He has His child in His loving care and to not worry.
I am worried about my friend. She has been through so much more than anyone should ever have to go through. I just keep praying for peace for her over and over again. I've added into my calender reminders to call her on his birthday and on mother's day. Those will be especially difficult I'm sure. Not that my early m/c comes even remotely close to what she's going through, but I feel like it's helped me to be sensitive to these days and the thought that she will always be a mother even though her son is no longer on earth.
Our church community has been amazing in setting up support for her. I'm so glad for this. It's amazing to see.

No comments: