Saturday, August 2, 2008

Baby Shower Internal Disaster

I put together a baby shower for a girl at work... it was today. I decided to just have it in the conference room to keep it simple. (Apparently a terrible idea.) I came a little early to set up. As soon as I walk in, I hear "there's an internal disaster, we need you to help, the manager is on line 2." Since I'm on the leadership team, I am blessed with the privilege of telling each person walking in that instead of a baby shower, we will all be working. (There was a fire and all of the computer, a/c, pagers, and portable phone systems were down). All of the medication lists are computerized so we had to transcribe medication sheets for each patient and look through their entire charts to be sure we had the most up to date medication lists for each patient based on the orders from their entire stay (months for some people). So even the mother-to-be is working. After 2 hours, things were under control, but most of the girls had to leave and couldn't stay for the shower. Only 4 of us enjoyed all of the food and watched present opening. Kind of a bummer! I felt really bad for the mom-to-be (at least she could stay for the actual shower!)

No comments: